I have wrestled with whether to post this article on my discipleship website. But as a follower of Jesus I cannot remain silent on this issue for it saddens the heart of God and should sadden us as well.
- In the US, the penalty for destroying an eagle egg can be anywhere from a $10,000-to-$250,000 fine and one to five years in prison, depending on state law. (Answers.com)
- The penalty for premeditated murder of a human in the US is usually the death sentence or life imprisonment. (Answers.com)
- However, there is no penalty for the premeditated murder of an unborn child. In fact, our government has legalized, promotes and subsidizes this practice with our tax dollars.
I love the outdoors. I spend a lot of time in the wilderness hiking and camping. So, I like eagles and other wild animals and seek to protect them.
What I don’t understand is how our morals, laws, and conscience rationalize protecting eagle fetuses while we callously exterminate millions of human fetuses?
As far as I can tell, the way we’ve rationalized this legalized murder is by claiming that one class of individual has the right to terminate the life of another class of individual. And we’ve elevated the right of choice for one class of person over the right of life for another class of person.
As a nation, we claim to adhere to a high standard of civil rights. But we’ve quickly forgotten that just fifty-some years ago, our nation was in turmoil over the prejudice, discrimination, injustice, and atrocities we were committing against African Americans and other non-white people groups.
But here we are again!
Only this time, it’s not just a matter of prejudice and discrimination. In the US, we have exterminated nearly 60 million babies since Roe v. Wade in 1973. To put this in perspective, this is more than double the combined populations of the ten largest cities in the US.
Imagine if New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Phoenix, Philadelphia, San Antonio, San Diego, Dallas, and San Jose were all mercilessly and heartlessly wiped out. All their inhabitants exterminated at the whim of someone else. Gone. Dead. And imagine that such horrific extermination was legalized and even promoted by our government and by the taxes that you and I pay.
That’s what we’ve done—and worse!
Unborn babies have no voice. They have no Dr. Martin Luther King among them to appeal for mercy and justice. The unborn cannot protest, march, or stage a demonstration.
No, you and I must stand up and be their voice for them. They cannot cry out, but we can.
How do we do this?
- Speak out against abortion, but do so peacefully and tactfully.
- Support your local pregnancy resource centers financially and/or with your time.
- Vote only for candidates who support life. Don’t be duped by the thinking that abortion is “just another political issue.”
- Support measures that will bring an end to abortion.
- Seek to love and heal the post-abortive, many of whom are in terrible distress over their abortions. Show them compassion, mercy and grace. Jesus’ sacrifice for our sins is more than adequate to forgive abortion or any other sins, but we must repent. (See abanon.org.)
- Pray for our nation to return to God and put an end to this barbaric, ungodly practice.
 Jason Noble, “FACT CHECK: 50 million abortions claim checks out,” Des Moines Register, March 6, 2015, https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/reality-check/2015/03/06/million-abortions-claim-checks/24530159/. “Data from the Guttmacher Institute—a research organization that supports legal access to abortion—does indeed show more than 50 million abortions were performed between 1973 and 2011.” Since 2011, nearly one million babies have been aborted in the US each year.
 Marian White, “The Top 10 Largest U.S. Cities by Population,” Moving.com, 07/05/2019, https://www.moving.com/tips/the-top-10-largest-us-cities-by-population/.